Skip to main content

The Desert of Despair

Using this (http://www.vikingcodeschool.com/posts/why-learning-to-code-is-so-damn-hard)  as a guide, I now realise I've entered the 'Desert of Despair' stage of this journey.
Thanks to the design of the Odin Project, I jumped off the 'Cliff of Confusion' a couple of months ago. The Odin Project has students designing programs from scratch at an early stage, interleaving 'hand-holding' tutorials to teach new tools.

What does the landscape look like in this desert?
  • Dwindling level  appropriate (i.e. intermediate) tutorials.
  • If you are creating something original, it is hard to identify where exactly to go next.
How does one escape? Only by putting one foot in front of the other and sending out occasional SOS signals. 

Trying to jump straight into developing a web app (beyond the basic blogger sort) proved too much at this stage. The lesson was valuable though.
 I realised I need to learn more about I/O operations, databases and APIs among other things. As all these are dealt with in the Odin Project I also realised that I may as well complete the Odin Project. Whether or not I use Ruby on Rails in the future, the lessons I learn about development will be applicable to other frameworks.

So, at the moment, I'm moving forward with Ruby and making occasional forays into the FreeCodeCamp to keep my Javascript fresh. I'm also continuing with Python both for fun and to be of more use at the CoderDojos where Python is the most common language used.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby, RSpec, Linux and Relational Algebra (or "What I'm doing this Christmas")

Last week was challenging- I'm beginning to appreciate the need for a programming buddy.  So far, I haven't found a Ruby IDE that helps with missing brackets or illegal syntax. This means hours spent looking for errors which more experience (or an IDE) would have solved in an instant. I've spent a lot of time on Stack Exchange looking for solutions to problems that many have already had- so far I haven't had to post a single new question (though it's evident that many people post duplicate questions, not having looked for a solution first). I spent longer on the Ruby project than anticipated, BUT I really enjoyed learning about Behaviour Driven Development. Thinking of tests in RSpec and then watching my Ruby script pass (eventually) was like passing an exam (though  one I had written myself). This week I'll be starting Rails-after I complete the CodeSchool Rails courses I'll go on to their RSpec course. Partly for the geek cred, partly out of curiosit...

Rails Project-Blogger Problem

Ran into my first challenge with the blogger today. I was creating a new model for a Comment feature and I typed: $ bin/rails generate model Comment author_name:string body:text article s :references That single red letter cost me an hour of struggle (I mean 'learning'). The extra s created a database schema containing something called 'articles_id'.  Since id  is a property of a single article, the comment controller  couldn't find an id  for articles,  as it didn't exist.  I looked at the Comment model file and saw the extra s  almost immediately after trying to enter a comment. But then I couldn't reverse the error. Rolling back the migration ( rake db:rollback), had no effect on the schema.  Destroying the model ( rails destroy model Comment)  had no effect on the schema. In the end I replaced the my local files with the Github repo contents (luckily I had just done a push). git fetch --all git reset --hard or...

CodeSchool vs Codecademy(or 'How socket inherits event listening methods and implements asynchronicity')

In this review I'm going to focus on the pedagogy that I see evident in some CodeSchool courses and compare them to  Codecademy. By pedagogy, I mean: 'How does CodeSchool teach?' and ' Does it do a good job of teaching?'. I'm going to argue that despite high quality videos, colourful web pages, and often ssspppeeeeeakkkiiiing...rrrreeally...slowly..., CodeSchool's pedagogy is inferior to that of Codecademy. There are many fantastic resources for learning to code on the web, and CodeSchool is one of them. So far I have completed courses in Ruby, Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, Jquery and Git on CodeSchool. The courses have all included high quality videos and colourful, interactive exercises- as well as  massive  pdf files of the slides ( the files take more than a minute to load on my machine .) The question is: does the higher production value mean better educational quality? The 'Try' courses on CodeSchool(such as Try Ruby and Try jQuery) are f...